Select element presents a menu of options. For selecting multiple options, see Dueling Picklist.
<select> element presents a menu of options. The options within
the menu are represented by
<option> elements that you can group with
<optgroup> elements. You can pre-select options for the user.
For selecting multiple options, we have created a custom component called the Dueling Picklist to ensure Accessibility and ease-of-use. Please refer to that documentation for the interaction model, markup, and Accessibility requirements.
Overview of CSS Classes
- The CSS class being referred to.
- A description of what the class does.
- Whether the class name is dev-ready (meaning it's fully vetted and tested and safe to use) or prototype (which means it's not fully vetted yet).
- The selector that the class name is allowed to be used on.
- The base level pattern for a component. A variant can be extended to create another variant of that component, for example, a stateful button is a derivative of the base button.
- A single class that can be added to an HTML element of a component to modify its output. Typically these will be colors, sizing and positioning.